We try to provide magical and welcoming outdoor experiences for all ages so having an extra person is always very useful. There is usually a lot of setting up and packing away to do, as well as helping to supervise the group, run activities and serving refreshments.
Wildwood days is a small community based business run by Bea Beggs and Liz Webley. We provide forest school sessions for nurseries and schools, outdoor activities for toddlers/pre-schoolers, uniformed groups, children’s parties and family events.
All volunteers are required to have a current DBS check, to have read and abide by the site and activity risk assessments, the relevant policies (child protection, missing child etc) and the volunteer guidance.
If you are just interested in occasional volunteering and are happy to help out with the simple tasks like serving refreshments and packing away, we would love to hear from you.
We are also hoping to recruit a long term volunteer who can commit to regular sessions. On completion of 150-300 hours of volunteering with us, Wildwood Days will pay for you to complete your Forest School level 2/3 training with Lancashire Wildlife Trust. This course comprises 3-5 training days (usually either at Brockholes nature reserve or in Bolton) followed by 1-2 skills assessment days. You will also have to complete your portfolio.
For this long-term position we would expect you to work at least one full Saturday every month for at least 6-12 months (depending on the level of commitment agreed) and ideally other dates where possible.
There are also opportunities to volunteer at our Toddler groups Wed & Fri 10-11.30, on our holiday clubs (9:30 – 3:30) and on school or uniformed group visits during the week. The family events and children’s parties are run on alternate Saturdays – please see our Facebook page for a list of all our upcoming events.
We always arrive on site at least 1 hour before the event starts and stay for at least 30 minutes after the finish to pack away so on a typical Saturday you’d be working 9 – 4:30 (7 hours, minus 30 min for lunch).
Tasks would include:
- Helping to set up the site (doing site check for litter etc., getting equipment and tables out the shed, putting up the tarpaulin, setting out the refreshment table).
- Setting out and putting away equipment and toys (e.g. mud kitchen kit, dinosaurs, mini-beast hunting kit).
- Serving refreshments (making teas/coffees for parents and squash/hot chocolate for children).
- Site maintenance (e.g. weeding out nettles and Himalayan balsam).
- Helping to supervise children during activities (for the long-term volunteer position there would also be opportunities to lead games and activities if you wished to).
- Packing away at the end of the session (everything back in shed, washing cups, etc.)
If you have any questions about the role please get in touch (message our FB page, website or ring Liz on 07910 476274 or Bea on 07870788626).
If you’d like to apply for the long-term volunteering position please email your CV and a covering letter giving a brief summary of why you’d be suitable to firstname.lastname@example.org